Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Shop while you ride; La Universidad San Francisco de Quito

hey everyone! Weeks continue to fly by here, but I wanted to write about some things that I do, or experience everyday, and will miss in the states. Check out webshots for a new album I just put up with some pictures of the university!

Bus Vendors
To get to the University, which is in Cumbayá, kind of a suburb of Quito, 20 minutes east of Quito itself, I walk to the bus station, about a 20 minute walk on a busy street, so pollution during rush hour can be pretty bad. The bus I take doesn't have a name, really, or at least I don't think, but most of the international students here call them "the big green buses." They are both big and green, and drivers tear through the streets and usually high tail it down the valley to Cumbayá. There is the bus driver and then usually a young guy, though I've seen a few women, who collects the fare (.25cents) and yells out the window "venga venga subetu a cumbaya tumbaco puembo..venga!!" (come on come on get on the bus, to cumbaby, tumbaco, come on!!) Leaving Quito, there are a number of people who jump on the bus trying to sell hard candy like Halls cough drops (really popular here), candied peanuts, habas (toast and salted fava beans) potato chips, and fresh fruits like pears, apples, and avocadoes. These treats are usually sold with ease, though those with the newspapers don't do as well.

In addition to these vendors, there are people who ride on the bus for a few minutes and take time to explain what they are selling and why. You can find a variety of things: toothbrushes, pirated dvd's and cd's, more candy, jewlery. To those people who aren't able to eat/digest pork easily, as the bus vendors starts his speel by saying, he has for you a remedy that consists of a combination of herbs exclusively from the jungle (including "uña de gato"=cat fingernail, though this is actually a part of a plant and "sangre de dragón" dragon blood, which comes from a tree). The cost is no more than a dollar for these things. Usually a least 1 person buys something, but today, I was quite surprised to see a man sell at least 4 sets of toothbrushes; adult and child size, and a pack of cotton swabs too, all for $1.

La Universidad de San Francisco de Quito: San Francisco of Quito University
I've been told by many Ecuadorians that USFQ is the best university in Ecuador. They have the best library, the most structured program and professors are required to go to class and have a silabus, something not required in other universities here. The university is good, but most international students agree that grading is easier, work load for classes is not nearly as much as their home universities, etc. A few weeks ago, there was some kind of student fair, in which a entrepreneurship class was required to sell something, anything, like food or palm readings to the university students, and the group that made the most money would win the contest. The funny thing is that during this entire week, it seemed the whole student population at USFQ didn't study. Loud booming music pounded through library walls and students attempted (poorly) to sing karaoke, making it very hard to do anything. I remember commenting to one of my friends, "is this a joke? does anyone study here??" Ecuadorian students leave the room when their cell phone rings, talk while teachers are lecturing, and ask teachers if they can turn in an assignment for the next class, on the day that it's due. As I said, these are my perceptions but many international students find the same cases. My experience at the university has been good and I have had some really great teachers which I am happy about, this year being my last year as an undergraduate!

Although there are scholarships available to students, it costs a couple thousands dollars to attend each semester, so students who have a substantial amount of resources, or their parents, can go there. The average USFQ girl wears heels and does her hair and makeup everyday for class. I don't understand how they walk so well, especially without slipping when it's rainy. After winter break, I noticed a lot of boys seems to have gotten in fights and broken their noses as they were bandaged up and their face bruised. But in fact, they had used their winter break to get plastic surgery on their nose. An easy mistake to make I guess...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a Pity!!, I'm Ecuadorian, and now I'm studying a postgraduate degree in UK, but I got my bachelor degree in a public university in Ecuador , and I don't think, The USFQ is the best university in Ecuador!!, It doesn't have a good reputation even in Ecuador